Monthly Archives: October 2010
Whenever I’m in the mood for sushi (which is pretty often), and I want to stay local, this is my go-to-spot! The clean and contemporary aesthetic offers a chill feel, and the food is really good. The menu is quite broad with everything from traditional dishes, to fusion, to creative sushi rolls. Every time I go, I try to have something different but I must admit, I have a few faves that you shouldn’t miss!
Oh, and did I mention that the prices are extremely reasonable.
I might have to try this even though I’m not a vegan. The tapas menu sounds quite tasty.
V-Note- 1522 First ave/ 212-249-5009
La Gazzetta- Opened in the old Merkato 55 space (it was sad to see Marcus Samuelsson go but I’ll check out the Red Rooster when it opens). The spot is called Villa Pacri and will eventually house a lounge, restaurant and rooftop. The Italian cafe is open now and we went there on a Saturday night in early August. The cafe is quite beautiful with lavish columns and the 300-wine glass chandelier as the focal point. We started off with a selection of meats, cheeses and a couple of salads. I was a bit surprised by the salad with tuna and cheese (not accustomed to seeing cheese as an accompaniment with tuna) but it was delish- the tuna, cheese and dressing worked well together. All the dishes we had were full of flavor- the sea bass and chicken were seasoned perfectly, and the spaghetti vongole didn’t disappoint. We topped it off with the chocolate cake(tasted like a rich brownie) and another round of cocktails. It was a good night!
A downtown restaurant housed in a cozy brownstone filled with charm- serving french dishes and small plates. We started with a carousel of small bites- the wedgette, BLT and deviled eggs with truffles. Then we feasted on scallops, chicken and sea bass. We even took a stab at dessert because the neighboring table seemed to be enjoying miniature ice cream sandwiches. We followed their lead- but I have to say it looked much better than it tasted. But don’t take my word for it because I’m really not a dessert person. I prefer savory over sweet.
This is also a great brunch spot!
Bobo- 181 W. 10th st/ 212-488-2626
Here are the new restos I’m looking forward to visiting:
1. Red Rooster- starring Marcus Samuelsson. Speakeasy-inspired eatery- American comfort food as seen through the eyes of Marcus. You know this is way out of my zip code- but I’ll venture uptown, and risk a nose bleed because of the Man- Marcus!
2. Ciano- starring Shea Gallante (Bouley Alumni- left to open Cru). Seasonal Italian neighborhood spot. Looking forward to trying the blue crab crostini with soppressata and pickled ramps and the veal-ricotta meatballs.
3. Double Feature:
A. Osteria Morini- starring Michael White. This is his first casual, downscale resto. I’m looking forward to hearty and rich Italian dishes!
B. Ai Fiori- starring Michael White. It will reside on the 2nd floor in the Setai Fifth Avenue. It will feature the food of the Italian Mediterranean coast, with some French Riviera influences.
4. The Darby- starring Alexandra Guarnaschelli. Supper club/modern day cabaret. They promise to put out amazing food, music and entertainment. And what a way to set the tone- they opened early for Beyonce’s Bday Party!
5. Lincoln- starring Jonathan Benno. It won’t just be about the Italian menu- it’s about the experience too! BTW- it’s one of the most expensive openings this fall.
6. Donatella- starring Donatella Arpaia. Chic pizzeria featuring the cuisine of Naples. Looking forward to trying the Neapolitan pizza!
7. FPB- starring Francois Payard. Bakery and snack shop. The French chef is back and he’s downtown! I would always send friends, family and clients special treats from his uptown bakery and it was always a hit!
8. John Dory Oyster Bar- starring April Bloomfield. They’re back and this time around it’s more casual!
9. Niko- starring Raj Dixit and Hiro Sawatari. It sounds like it will have a good balance of cooked Japanese food and sushi. I hear the restaurant is beautiful! Soho needs better restos- hopefully this will be a great addition!
I might have left a few out, so be on the look out for part deux! I can’t wait to Sip, Chat & Chow at these newcomers!