A downtown restaurant housed in a cozy brownstone filled with charm- serving french dishes and small plates. We started with a carousel of small bites- the wedgette, BLT and deviled eggs with truffles. Then we feasted on scallops, chicken and sea bass. We even took a stab at dessert because the neighboring table seemed to be enjoying miniature ice cream sandwiches. We followed their lead- but I have to say it looked much better than it tasted. But don’t take my word for it because I’m really not a dessert person. I prefer savory over sweet.
This is also a great brunch spot!
Bobo- 181 W. 10th st/ 212-488-2626
Here are the new restos I’m looking forward to visiting:
1. Red Rooster- starring Marcus Samuelsson. Speakeasy-inspired eatery- American comfort food as seen through the eyes of Marcus. You know this is way out of my zip code- but I’ll venture uptown, and risk a nose bleed because of the Man- Marcus!
2. Ciano- starring Shea Gallante (Bouley Alumni- left to open Cru). Seasonal Italian neighborhood spot. Looking forward to trying the blue crab crostini with soppressata and pickled ramps and the veal-ricotta meatballs.
3. Double Feature:
A. Osteria Morini- starring Michael White. This is his first casual, downscale resto. I’m looking forward to hearty and rich Italian dishes!
B. Ai Fiori- starring Michael White. It will reside on the 2nd floor in the Setai Fifth Avenue. It will feature the food of the Italian Mediterranean coast, with some French Riviera influences.
4. The Darby- starring Alexandra Guarnaschelli. Supper club/modern day cabaret. They promise to put out amazing food, music and entertainment. And what a way to set the tone- they opened early for Beyonce’s Bday Party!
5. Lincoln- starring Jonathan Benno. It won’t just be about the Italian menu- it’s about the experience too! BTW- it’s one of the most expensive openings this fall.
6. Donatella- starring Donatella Arpaia. Chic pizzeria featuring the cuisine of Naples. Looking forward to trying the Neapolitan pizza!
7. FPB- starring Francois Payard. Bakery and snack shop. The French chef is back and he’s downtown! I would always send friends, family and clients special treats from his uptown bakery and it was always a hit!
8. John Dory Oyster Bar- starring April Bloomfield. They’re back and this time around it’s more casual!
9. Niko- starring Raj Dixit and Hiro Sawatari. It sounds like it will have a good balance of cooked Japanese food and sushi. I hear the restaurant is beautiful! Soho needs better restos- hopefully this will be a great addition!
I might have left a few out, so be on the look out for part deux! I can’t wait to Sip, Chat & Chow at these newcomers!
We descended upon a Mepa newcomer last night- MPD! The lively dinner spot didn’t disappoint. We trickled in at different times, and all got in sync over cocktails at the bar. As we were shown to our table, I chatted it up with the energetic host who gave us the rundown on this newcomer. I surveyed the spot and quickly saw the vision of how it would be transformed from a sophisticated dining room to a glam late night hot spot!